How to Get Involved
- Step 1: Educate Yourself
- Visit the Texas Legislature Online website to follow the action and create a list of bills to track.
- Learn how a bill becomes a law, how to follow a bill, and how to read legislation.
- Familiarize yourself with legislative language and terminology.
- Follow the legislature on the go with your mobile device.
- Learn more about becoming an Advocate with these advocacy tips from TCDD.
- Step 2: Stay “In the Loop”
- Sign up for e-newsletters from DPC member organizations. Receive updates on both Texas Legislature News, and State and Federal Legislative News. You can also receive updates by liking or following DPC member organization’s Facebook or Twitter pages and feeds.
- Step 3: Take Action
- Find out who represents you in the Texas Legislature and contact them by phone, email, or letter. You can also schedule an appointment to meet with your legislators and tell them how their decisions on the state budget and lawmaking affect you and your family.
- Share your story at a committee hearing in person or in writing. View house meeting notices and senate meeting notices to see which bills are scheduled to be considered at a particular committee meeting.
Want more information? Contact Us.